Saturday, July 16, 2011

Are we there yet?

Well of course I didn't get on a ferry to Silba the next day. After Getting into Zadar at midnight I wandered around for about an hour until I found the hostel that all hostels in movies are depicted as; sketchy, run-down and drugged out people staring at your from their room. But it was cheap ($25) and the only place I could find. I fell asleep around 2 and woke up at 4 am covered with sweat.. Turns out the room didn't have AC and it was 32 C outside. Waking up at 11, I packed my stuff back up and forgoing a shower, checked out. I would be in Silba in a few hours anyways. When I got to the booking agency the lady told me that the ferry had left at 11 and the next ferry wasn't until 4 o'clock the next day. I trudged back to the hostel and checked back in. I walked around Zadar the whole day and checked out the flee market. The next day I arrived at the ferry terminal an hour early, determined to make it to to Silba. Again, I forwent a shower as I was checking out as I was going to be in Silba in an hour and a half. Onboard I waited 5 minutes, 20 minutes, and then at 4:30, 30 minutes after the ferry was supposed to depart, the people in the rear started deboarding. The word (in Croatian) spread and soon everyone was making a mad dash towards the exit. I asked numerous people until finally a couple who spoke English told me that the ferry had broken and we had to go redeem our tickets. I wanted to kill someone. At the ticket office I was told that the next ferry wasn't until 2 o'clock the next day. Now I was ready to strangle her throat. How am I supposed to travel around Europe if I can't even make it out of one city?

Jose and Guy arrived from Anconna the next morning and Grace came in on the ferry to meet us. It was a great relief to see some familiar faces and people that regularly spoke English. We hung out in Zadar one last time and went to the beach until 2, when we got on the ferry and finally started off towards Silba.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Silba, Croatia

No comments:

Post a Comment